Understanding and Using English Grammar, 5th ed. | Student Book A + Essential Online Resources
Betty S. Azar,
Stacy A. Hagen
Collection: Azar-Hagen Grammar Series
Retail price: $37.95
Format: Multiple-item retail product
Understanding and Using English Grammar has been updated to a 5th edition.
For nearly forty years, Understanding and Using English Grammar has been the go-to grammar resource for students and teachers alike. Its time-tested approach blends direct grammar instruction with carefully sequenced practice to develop all language skills.
New in this edition:
- Tests at the start of each chapter enable learners to check what they already know.
- Updated grammar charts highlight differences between written and spoken English.
- A chapter on article usage.
- A variety of readings include reviews, articles on current topics, and blogs on student success.
- Extra practice to help students grasp concepts better.
- Step-by-step writing activities are supported by tips, and pre-writing and editing tasks.
- Essential Online Resources include Student Book audio, Student Book answer key, Grammar Coach videos, and self-assessments.
Each chapter of the course covers a general topic in grammar. The chapters are divided into charts. Each chart covers one or more grammar points and is followed by comprehensive grammar practice.
- Warm-up exercises provide a smooth entry into a grammar topic
- Exercises vary from very controlled to more open-ended types
- Grammar practice is embedded into reading, writing, listening, and speaking tasks
- Large variety of exercise enables students to practice the same grammatical concepts in different ways
Betty Azar is the founding author of Azar methodology and is the co-author of the Azar-Hagen Grammar Series. In her early career as an English teacher she started developing her own materials and worksheets to help her students grasp English grammar. Later on, she established her own approach to grammar teaching - Grammar Based Teaching (GBT) which became a foundation of the Azar-Hagen Grammar Series.Stacy A. Hagen
Stacy Hagen is the co-author of the Azar-Hagen Grammar Series. She’s an experienced English Language teacher and administrator, as well as a published author of a number of ELT textbooks. She brings a wealth of rich new content, new exercise types, and a fresh, updated feel to the revisions.